In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Ever Merciful…
Thanksgiving Day is a modern Christian religious holiday observed on the fourth Thursday of November in America. Thanksgiving has been adopted as a national holiday as well.
The Permanent Council of Scholars in Saudi Arabia, headed by Shaykh ‘Abdul-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have Mercy on him), was asked about the observance of Christian religious holidays, and they responded:
It is not permissible to take part with the disbelievers in their holidays and religious celebrations, due to the description Allah has given to the servants of the Most-Merciful [what means]: ( Those who do not witness “zoor”, and if they pass by falsehood, they pass by it with dignity ). [25:72] “Zoor” is explained to be: the celebrations of the disbelievers and witnessing them, attending them, or taking part in them.
Source: The Permanent Council’s second series of Fatwas (1/452-453). [in Arabic here]
Many other clear statements of the scholars about non-Muslim holidays and celebrations have been made widely available in English.
Aside from being a Christian holiday, Thanksgiving is commonly represented by images depicting the “peace” made between Continue reading
- Jumu’ah Prayer Established in Prisons
- Are a Muslim Woman’s Non-Muslim Relatives Acceptable as Mahram for Traveling?
- The Friday Khutbah: Three Neglected Sunnahs for the Imaam
- How Many Rak’ahs Did the Salaf Pray for Taraaweeh?
- Recources for Monthly Lessons at Masjid as-Sahaabah (Columbus, OH)
- 16 False Narrations About Wearing Turbans (Imaamahs) [Updated]
- Another Fabricated Hadeeth from Anjem Choudary: “Whoever Insults a Prophet, Kill Him!”
- A Biography of Shaykh Muhammad Amaan Al-Jaamee
- Speak the Truth or Stay Home [Shaykh Muhammad Amaan al-Jaamee]
- Do not Refer to Deviant Groups Using Their Chosen Names of Self-Praise
- Qassim University Accepts 149 International Students (2014-2015)
- Links to 25 Universities in Saudi Arabia
- Arabic Language Scholarships Available at King Saud University in Riyadh (2015-2016)
- List of Accepted Students at Imam University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1435-1436)
- List of Accepted Students at the Islamic University of Al-Madeenah 1435-1436 [2014-2015]
- Shaykh Ibn Baaz: How to Give Da’wah to Those Affected By Specific Misguidance
- Shaykh Fowzaan on Frauds Who Pretend to Have Islamic Knowledge
- Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen: Anyone Who Claims to Know When the End of the World Will Occur is a Disbeliever
- A Hadeeth Which Defines When the End of the World Happens? [The World Will Only Exist for 7000 Years?]
- But We Need a New Approach in Today’s Dawah! [Shaykh Ibn Baaz Responds]
- Nutmeg, the Well Known Spice, is an Intoxicant (Khamr)
- Baseless Hadeeth: “Take Half of Your Religion From ‘Aa’ishah”
- Calling to Good Manners Firstly is Contradictory to the Prophetic Dawah Method [Shaykh Saalih al-Fowzaan]
- 15 Points of Advice for Those Intending to Perform ‘Umrah
- Wiping over Headwear (Turbans, Caps, Khimaars) for Wudhoo’
- Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen on Removing Part of the Footwear and then Continuing to Wipe Over it
- Shaykh Saalih al-Fowzaan on the Claim that Allaah Cannot Do All Things
- How to Pray in a Chair When Needed [Shaykh Saalih al-Fowzaan]
- People of the Sunnah are Humble and Clear About Their Sources
- An Important Principle of Tafseer Repels Misunderstandings About Quranic Passages
- Shaykh Saalih al-Fowzaan on Statements of Yasir Qadhi
- Menstrual Cycle Starts After Beginning an ‘Umrah – What to do
- Tafseer Benefits: The Scholars are Authority Figures
- Once they replace our scholars, where will they take us?